The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 503581 times)

Offline mel08

• Experienced
  • "A love that never grow old."
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #345 on: September 24, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »
Ich fühle mich schon jetzt sehr willkommen - 1.000 Dank !  ;D
"The sparkle in his eyes never dim as he look on me, ‘n he hold me close ‘n love me well ‘n kiss me sweet as he ever did durin’ my ancient, long-lost teenhood." (del Mar Painting)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #346 on: September 24, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
So, I'm really glad to find communities with people feeling maybe in a same way. I think it will take me months to read all your postings (our German community isn't as big and as busy as yours ;-)) but this is a task whitch I'm looking forward to do. ;-).

Welcome mel08 to this site and the 'home' of so many folks who feel the same way as you do about this film. One thing you may know or will yet figure out.....you are NOT alone in your feelings!!! We ALL have felt or are feeling the exact same way you do!!!  know that fritzkep has greeted you in your native tongue, but think it is wonderful you have worked to converse in English!!! Your words and sentences are just right and do not be worried that you will not be understood, you are doing very well!!!
I do hope that you find what it takes here to help you deal with yoru feelings...I know that you will because as I have said this is family here and I know that you will find it so!! I hope that as you read you will also post some of your impressions and feelings!! You write very well, so don't let that stop you!!!
Once again thank you for joining this great communty here and hope to see you in the threads!!!
killersmom
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline mel08

• Experienced
« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2006, 05:12:47 AM »
You write very well, so don't let that stop you!!!
Once again thank you for joining this great communty here and hope to see you in the threads!!!
killersmom

Thank you so much !!! You will definitely see me in the threads - I'm so glad to talk to others about the film. As I said our German Community is a small one and I'd like to hear more opinions about and experiences with BBM, so I will take this chance ...
I just need to go into the structure and the technical handling of this community which isn't so easy in German - and which causes me a Headache in a foreign language  ;).
"The sparkle in his eyes never dim as he look on me, ‘n he hold me close ‘n love me well ‘n kiss me sweet as he ever did durin’ my ancient, long-lost teenhood." (del Mar Painting)

Offline Cameron816

• Experienced
  • I 'as probably no fun anyways, was I?"
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:42 PM »

Thank you so much !!! You will definitely see me in the threads - I'm so glad to talk to others about the film. As I said our German Community is a small one and I'd like to hear more opinions about and experiences with BBM, so I will take this chance ...
I just need to go into the structure and the technical handling of this community which isn't so easy in German - and which causes me a Headache in a foreign language  ;).

Mel08 -
Thanks so much for coming to us.  We crave people just like you, regardless of language, who speak from the heart.  Welcome home.

My small personal tribute to BBM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGd29rJoY

Offline jeff hanna

• Experienced
« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »
mel08: Thank you for sharing your intense feelings about Brokeback.

You describe well the issues that are heartbreakingly portrayed in the movie: lost opportunity, regret, guilt, "once-in-a-lifetime love" that is lost forever. When you use the term "unsophisticated love," I recall Annie Proulx referring to Ennis and Jack as limited young men "who find themselves in emotional waters of increasing depth."

Larry McMurtry describes Brokeback as "a tragedy of emotional deprivation."

I hope you will read the superb essays about the wrting of the short story and the making of the movie - written by Proulx, McMurtry, and the wondrous Diana Ossana. You will find a great kinship with them. The essays are in the Story-to-Screenplay book. Perhaps there is a German version?

I wish I could read German - as I would be fascinated to know what German people have been saying about our beloved Brokeback. I do know that the film was very well-reviewed by German critics.

Offline mel08

• Experienced
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »
mel08: Thank you for sharing your intense feelings about Brokeback.

You describe well the issues that are heartbreakingly portrayed in the movie: lost opportunity, regret, guilt, "once-in-a-lifetime love" that is lost forever. When you use the term "unsophisticated love," I recall Annie Proulx referring to Ennis and Jack as limited young men "who find themselves in emotional waters of increasing depth."

Larry McMurtry describes Brokeback as "a tragedy of emotional deprivation."

I hope you will read the superb essays about the wrting of the short story and the making of the movie - written by Proulx, McMurtry, and the wondrous Diana Ossana. You will find a great kinship with them. The essays are in the Story-to-Screenplay book. Perhaps there is a German version?

I wish I could read German - as I would be fascinated to know what German people have been saying about our beloved Brokeback. I do know that the film was very well-reviewed by German critics.

Hello Jeff hanna,

thank you for your comment. Yes, you are right. The film received ravel reviews in Germany. I can't remember any negative reviews. The German press reacted very open to the film - and of course they did right !
We have a very small community in Germany that talks about the film - but our community isn't comparable at all with the community here. We are 75 people, most of them are just readers, not writers - so it's a little bit lopsided ;).

But those people who are active in this community are deeply touched, they also feel this powerful pain, they have really problems to recover from this movie, they suffer, they long for a happy end, they quarrel with the sad ending and we all spent a lot of time discussing if a happy end would have been possible. Most of us think that yes, it would have been possible ...

So I think, this film touches people over contries borders. This film is so universal - people all over the world feel grabbed ...

mel

P.S. I read the short story in German, but the translation is SO bad, so I'm going to buy the English version. I haven't read the Story-to-Screenplay book. I don't know if there are German translations, but I will try to get one. Thanks for the tip !

Offline mel08

• Experienced
« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
well goddamn was i blown away. i felt like someone had poured liquid fire into my heart as i sat like a stone with tears dripping through my first viewing.

when i saw ennis holding on to and feeling jack in the second tent scene, i just lost it. it was like his whole life he never knew how to breathe, and then here it was jack ewas his air. he could finally let go ... and the way jack held him like he would save his ennis from his own damn self... i just lost it, damn i'm getting teary just typing this.

but there was and still is this huge part of me that is closed. no admittance cuz i can't afford to make another mistake.
when i saw ennis all alone in that shitty little trailer mourning the love of his life and deeply regretting how he let his fear destory their lives, i died inside a little.
you see, i looked at ennis and i saw me.
i meam i'm a girl and i'm strait, but that's just semantics because regret and lonliness knows no demographics.
i'm still heartbroken now. i can't let this go

i read madlori's human interest story and i swear i smiled for the first time in weeks.

Hi Melissa,

even though your posting is three months old, I hope you will look in this forum from time to time. Well, I'm here in this forum since yesterday and I just started to read some threads - and so I also read your post.
I'm so deeply touched by the way you are describing your feelings - I felt the same way. I saw Ennis - and I saw me, too. Part of my heart is closed, too. Slowly but surely I get the feeling why's so. But this film hurts so bad, I stopped breathing while watching the last scene with Ennis and Jack, I was shocked, extremely depressed for several weeks - and I was totally heartbroken and still I am.

Than I read Madloris Human Interest - and my soul started to recover. I'm not healed, I have such bad days when the film assails me once again so I hardly dare to watch it, 'cause this would be too much for me. I need the fan fictions to get a little bit peace, to calm down a little bit. They help me ... sometimes ...

Mel

Offline jeff hanna

• Experienced
« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2006, 11:23:13 PM »
Me108:Thanks for your interesting and informative reply about your "German Brokeback Community."

Yes, we all wish desperately that Ennis and Jack had found happiness. I hope this doesn't make you feel worse, but Annie Proulx has made it clear that Ennis and Jack's love was "impossible," and that there could not have been a happy ending. Diana Ossana called it a "doomed love." Proulx said that it was clear to her from the beginning (of writing the story) that things could not work out, given the time, place, and circumstances.

As you know, Ennis and Jack were unsophisticated, "high-school-droput country boys," steeped in the rigidly conservative, homophobic, rural culture of 1940's - 1960's Wyoming. What, of course, makes the story so fascinating - and so heartbreaking - is that you have these two young men - products of this culture - who find themselves in love with each other. Given the unremitting hostility to homosexuality that surrounds them, it wouldn't be realistic to think that they could've found a happy solution. One critic said that the real story of "Brokeback Mountain" is what these men had to do to sustain their love over twenty years - under impossible circumstances.

You may or may not be interested in reading Brokeback "slash fiction," which are stories about Ennis and Jack, and many of them have that happy ending. There are HUNDREDS of these stories; you can check many of them out here at the Dave Cullen Forum by going to the "Slash Links by Author" thread.
  To try Slash out fiction out, I recommend a story entitled "Somebody New" by Jennasts. Most lovers of slash seem to agree that this is "the gold standard." It is beautifully well-written, dramatic, heartbreaking, and very satisfying - and it has a wonderfully happy ending. In it, Jack end his relationship with Ennis - after that final confrontation - because he can't stand more years of longing and loneliness. Ennis is devastated, goes into a downward spiral and nearly dies, but finally decides to go down to Texas to try and win Jack back. It is a hell of a good story.

Whatever you do, we'll all look forward to more posts by you - and give our love and good wishes to your German "Brokeback Buddies."

Also - does your husband have any interest in seeing the film?

Offline mel08

• Experienced
« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2006, 05:16:58 AM »
  As you know, Ennis and Jack were unsophisticated, "high-school-droput country boys," steeped in the rigidly conservative, homophobic, rural culture of 1940's - 1960's Wyoming. What, of course, makes the story so fascinating - and so heartbreaking - is that you have these two young men - products of this culture - who find themselves in love with each other. Given the unremitting hostility to homosexuality that surrounds them, it wouldn't be realistic to think that they could've found a happy solution. One critic said that the real story of "Brokeback Mountain" is what these men had to do to sustain their love over twenty years - under impossible circumstances.

I recommend a story entitled "Somebody New" by Jennasts. Most lovers of slash seem to agree that this is "the gold standard." It is beautifully well-written, dramatic, heartbreaking, and very satisfying - and it has a wonderfully happy ending. In it, Jack end his relationship with Ennis - after that final confrontation - because he can't stand more years of longing and loneliness. Ennis is devastated, goes into a downward spiral and nearly dies, but finally decides to go down to Texas to try and win Jack back. It is a hell of a good story.

Whatever you do, we'll all look forward to more posts by you - and give our love and good wishes to your German "Brokeback Buddies."

Hello Jeff hanna,

yes, I know, that the ending of the film would be the only "logical" ending concerning the time and circumstances Jack and Ennis were living in. But I think we look at the film through "German eyes". I think the situation in Germany would be less troubling in the sixties than in the rural Wyoming. Well, I think it's our history that taught us to be more open, to accept people from other countries, other religions and with other sexuality.
They certainly would have had problems, mainly in the rural regions - but I think they could have handled them. And nowadays homosexuality is kind of normal in our society. The Minister of Hamburg and the Minister of Berlin for example are homosexual - everyone knows, but it's not a big deal. No one talks about, it's no one's business.
In Berlin and Cologne are gay and lesbian festivals once a year, they are well known in Germany and ten thousands of people take part. No big deal.

So for us, it's just unbelievable to think that such a love would have had any chance because of the opinion of society. You will find people everywhere that are against other people, that's for sure. But the common sense is open and tolerate. So we understand the different situation Jack and Ennis had to deal with, but it makes it even worse for us ...

So this is why I read most of the fan fictions (with happy ending !!) and of course I have read "Somebody new", I'm reading the sequel, I have read "Human Interest" and the sequel, "Some silver lining" and the sequel, "A better Idea" and some other more. They are all fantastic and a real blessing for me !

Sadly my husband hasn't any interst seeing the movie ...

Mel

Offline Saena

• Experienced
    • my fanfiction account
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2006, 07:12:04 PM »
Hello...
My name is Saena, and I just joined this board after hearing the name of it mentioned in posts from lj friends about BBM fics. I first saw the movie in January (or maybe it was late December, but that's beside the point), and found it very moving and heartbreaking to watch. I had gone into it thinking I was going to cry through a good part of the film, but I didn't. Later I realized that it was because I was too heartbroken to cry.
Many Brokeback fans feel a strong connection to either Jack or Ennis (or both), and for me it's Ennis. I don't think I've ever identified with a fictional character as a kindred spirit quite so strongly.
I am the secretary of my college's GSA and an avid slash fanfiction reader.I don't actually read a lot of BBM fanfiction- only one or two so far- because I can't get over a feeling that the story is complete enough on its own. I think I might be coming around, though. Some of the work just looks so interesting that I might not be able to pass it up. (And I'm pretty much addicted to slash.)  :P
 I also frequent a couple of other message boards, and I'm looking forward to finding a new community to interact with. I can't wait to browse around and see what this place is all about.   8)

Saena
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 07:18:23 PM by Saena »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2006, 07:16:51 PM »
Hello Saena and welcome to the Forum. As you may know, a lot of the people involved in Slash are now meeting in the Chicago area, but after this weekend they will be back in force. A "skeleton" crew is available there (you can tell them because they have replaced their avatars with skeletons, temporarily). Feel free to roam the threads, and post or not post as you prefer. Again, welcome here!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline mel08

• Experienced
« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2006, 01:47:12 AM »
I am the secretary of my college's GSA and an avid slash fanfiction reader.I don't actually read a lot of BBM fanfiction- only one or two so far- because I can't get over a feeling that the story is complete enough on its own. I think I might be coming around, though. Some of the work just looks so interesting that I might not be able to pass it up. (And I'm pretty much addicted to slash.)  :P
 I also frequent a couple of other message boards, and I'm looking forward to finding a new community to interact with. I can't wait to browse around and see what this place is all about.   8)

Saena

Hello Saena,

as for my part I can say: don't pass them fan fictions. Most of them are wounderful, heartbreaking but also very, very lovely. I only read the ones with happy ending. The sad ones are too much for me, they are so deeply touching, for me it's hard to deal with because the ending in the movie was really sad enough for me.
So there are many, many stories to read and if you feel ready enough - just do it ! Most of them are overwhelming.

mel

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2006, 09:23:11 AM »
mel08 and saenna:

welcome here!

Mad Lori did a lot to salve many wounds.  I hope you find more peace in here.  Be sure to join the impact threads:

How Brokeback affected me
Brokeback changed my life, or it will
Are you a Jack or Ennis?

I hope you'll find some support and comfort in reading the stories and sharing how you feel with the rest of the forum

Heidi
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline jeff hanna

• Experienced
« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
Hi Saena: Why you little traitor...addicted to slash fiction but avoiding Brokeback slash...whaaa...! Just Kidding.

I find that reading Jack and Ennis slash never intrudes at all  on the original short story and film - which I agree are perfect and complete as they are. I find that the BBM fanfiction universe to be totally separate from the short story and film...and the fics don't in ANY way lessen the story or film's power.

I only read BBM slash, because it satisfies a craving to feel closer to Ennis and Jack. I can also appreciate the sad and heartbreaking stories. The fics answer questions, provide information, fill in empty spaces, like - "what happened to Ennis between the time Jack drove off, and  his marriage to Alma?' or "what really happened at the Motel Siesta?' (wink, wink). These kinds of topics are maybe best addressed on the slash threads (note to self).

Whatever you do, welcome to the forum

Offline Saena

• Experienced
    • my fanfiction account
« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
*guilty face* I tried. Tried and am about to fail miserably. :) When I first saw the film, the idea that there could be a slash community developing barely occurred to me, and when I did discover it on ff.net I avoided it- didn't think I was interested. But then one day I took a chance and went there, and after only about five minutes of browsing found Madlori's story "Human Interest". I'mJackShe'sEnnis, you mentioned her in your post, and I'm a big fan of both her BBM fics. The way I saw it, if I had been looking for any specific kind of story in this fandom (even if I wasn't aware of my own expectations), I'd found it, and so I didn't need to look for any more. But then she started recommending stories. And I wavered. You're catching me at the beginning of my exploration of the greater BBM slash community!  :D
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. I'm looking forward to talking to you more on the other threads. I will definitely check out the impact threads at some point; they look interesting.

Saena