The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Non believers who love Brokeback Mountain  (Read 702681 times)

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
    • TalkAboutSexxx! Fun and serious talk about all things sex.
Re: Non believers who love Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »
Changing subjects: VIC! are you still here?
In a couple of your messages you wrote as if you are located in the Netherlands. Have I interpreted that correctly?  If so, is that as an ex-pat American, or as a genuine local?  That came as a surprise to me when I read it, because from your posts I just thought that you were in the US like most of the others here.    I had a 2-week CYCLING holiday in Holland away back in the early 1970s. After that I argued with anyone who told me that Holland is flat. It seemed that no matter in which direction I was riding; the bloody wind was always blowing against me, in my face; and there were always hills which I was trying to pedal UP. LOL.

Hi Johnny!

Sure, I'm still here, but spending time on my new site, which is getting more interesting by the day, if I say so myself. There's a link in my signature, feel free to lurk or join anytime. But I won't discuss or mention that here anymore, because I do not think that is appropriate.

As for your other question - no, I'm not a genuine local, just a genuine me.  ;)
Mongrel mix background and travel since childhood made me a local of none and at home everywhere. World class fool, that's me. LOL

Holland is mostly flat, but there are lots of bridges everywhere which can be quite steep. And wind, oh yeah. Too much of it. You must've been in the Eastern/Southern part where there are some hills or higher dunes.

Sitting at a roadhouse terrace in Adelaide Springs (NT) I saw this guy loaded down with backpacks and other stuff on a bicyle coming down the road from Darwin. As it was about 3pm it must've been around 35 C in the shade. I thought, only a Dutchman would be mad enough to bicycle in this heat in this remote place. He soon came to the roadhouse, unpacked and collapsed under a tree. So I went up to him and asked "Dutch?" whereupon he replied "Yes, how did you know?"
:D

As for those people who deny all technology and keep life simple, they have those here too in some of the more remote (if remote is at all possible in Holland) villages. I didn't find them to very tolerant towards anyone outside their little clique actually, the few times I interacted with them. And they start quoting the bible (usually Sodom and Gomorrha after a few minutes with me) so I tend to avoid them. Live and let live, just stay away from me, thanks.

Vic

TalkAboutSexxx.com. It's all about sex appeal - Sex and the media.
Sex is funny - Sexy  humor.

Offline JohnnyX

• Experienced
  • LOVE is indeed a force of nature.
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:12 AM »

Hi Johnny!

Sure, I'm still here, but spending time on my new site, which is getting more interesting by the day, if I say so myself. There's a link in my signature, feel free to lurk or join anytime. But I won't
:D

As for those people who deny all technology and keep life simple, they have those here too in some of the more remote (if remote is at all possible in Holland) villages. I didn't find them to very tolerant towards anyone outside their little clique actually, the few times I interacted with them. And they start quoting the bible (usually Sodom and Gomorrha after a few minutes with me) so I tend to avoid them. Live and let live, just stay away from me, thanks.
Vic

Hi Vic; gee, it seems like a long absence from both of us.
Thanks for answering my questions.

I shall have to go back to your site, and register this time, and check it out.
How great that it is going so well.
Are the visitor numbers up too? Hope so.

You sound like a real Mr International in lots of ways, even if you do call yourself a mongrel.
Hey talking about mongrels, I was working my way through the earlier pages of the captions thread yesterday, and encountered that picture of Jack lying on the ground asleep up in the range, with a dog lying beside him, which was almost camouflaged.

Well LouiseV did a caption calling the dog an Alsatian or German Shepherd.
But the dog was a blue heeler or kelpie.
Someone then pointed out this error, but it read to me as if it was just a joke; sort of along the lines of "that dog is NOT an Alsatian, it is a blue heeler; do you get it? a blue heeler"
So as they have a lot of jokes in that thread, I just thought that it was a friendly but correct joke. Well, next thing there was a bit of a kerfuffle over this "criticism". Wow, someone was thin-skinned. LOL.

But on your behalf, I will take exception to the world-class fool bit.
From our experience of you in here, just WORLD CLASS would be perfect -- unless we wanted to add MIND to it. That I would accept. But FOOL is not appropriate when we are talking of our Vic!  (Is it Doug? Come on here and back me up mate)

I shall have to remember your observation about their being Dutch when we see those guys cycling over here. I just thought that they were intrepid individuals. Like you say, the temperatures are so high -- or so cold at night or during winter. The roads are disgusting, the terrain is pretty crook too, and they are loaded down with their basic necessities for such a trip.
I just take my hat off to them Vic; I wouldn't even attempt it.
One year when we saw a fellow like that on a very hot day, way out in the semi-arid areas, whilst we were driving by in air-conditioned comfort; I stopped the car and we offered him some of our cold drinks from a container in the car. The guy was just so appreciative. Now that I recall that situation, he did have a foreign accent, but I cannot recall much more.

About those Brethren people: as Doug says, they have networks all over the world.
My grandmother used to give me the stamps off their letters to each other, for my collection wa y back then.  They were always lovely kind people to each other, but judgemental as you observe of those who behaved "sinfully".

Well, Nick came in and said that we were getting off topic -- maybe that excursion into the Brethren, from our Non-Believers' perspective will put us back on topic. LOL.

Sticking with the Brethren, I once found a web-site run by people who had LEFT the group. They were still usually very religious, but I think they left when breakaway groups formed or something.

Hoping to read more from you Vic.  -- and from some of you lurkers out there. We'd love to hear about your non-belief and BBM.   Bring it on.   Cheers all: JohnnyX.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.  They just make the best of everything. 

Jack & Ennis DID make the best of their situations. For 20 glorious years! Don't forget those 20 years of LOVE!

Offline daannzzz

• Obsessed
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »
Not being eloquent (or a good speller) I don't post on this thread but I do read it. Did you see this story. This is the kind of stuff that is scary and makes me livid.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/28/senate.harris.ap/index.html

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/08/29/bc-jeffs.html

Check out this guy, 20 wives and 103 kids!  :-\

As for the Close Caption thread, alot of feelings were hurt in that thread, nuff said, it was suppose to be all about fun.

Oh and Vic I haven't joined your board yet, I am heading out again, maybe for a week, I promise one of these days I will get registered.  :-*

FUNGURL

Offline JohnnyX

• Experienced
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:44 AM »
Not being eloquent (or a good speller) I don't post on this thread but I do read it. Did you see this story. This is the kind of stuff that is scary and makes me livid.

Hello Daanz. Thanks for coming out of lurkdom and joining in; and providing this hyperlink.
And your spelling was PERFECT. Go to the top of the class man.

But HOW you have joined in!

Is there some way that we can hide this from Doug and Vic?
Hey mods, can we make it unavailable for them to click on please?  LOL.

I shall not make any comment on it Daanz, but boy, we should have some beautiful replies to her contentions when our boys see it.  Let the game begin!      JohnnyX.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.  They just make the best of everything. 

Jack & Ennis DID make the best of their situations. For 20 glorious years! Don't forget those 20 years of LOVE!

Offline JohnnyX

• Experienced
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2006, 04:14:55 AM »

As for the Close Caption thread, alot of feelings were hurt in that thread, nuff said, it was suppose to be all about fun.

Oh and Vic I haven't joined your board yet, I am heading out again, maybe for a week, I promise one of these days I will get registered.  :-*

Hello again Lola, nice of you to drop by with this info.

Now, I have nothing against polygamy -- as a sex addict, that might be one way to keep me happy. ROFL.  However, I have problems enough with one spouse, the problems with many of them would just be compounded -- especially if they ganged up on me. LOL.

Maybe it is because of this attitude, that something in this report just makes me feel uneasy. Most probably it is just that I am a cynic; but I become very sceptical when someone who is already "in their sights" just because he or she is "different"; and then they add on all of these other things --- mmm ??   I would not take it all at face value.

Nevertheless Lola, thanks for providing it to us.

And so we move on to the Captions thread.  Even though I still haven't even reached the end of the first 200 pages, I have seen some of "those comments", especially when you just said a couple of words to suggest some issues.  I guess that my take on it all, in every thread here, is that we are ALL -- well, almost all -- hurting people, and when we are in that condition, there can be two impacts: One: we take umbrage very easily at the slightest comment; or Two: we do not necessarily choose our words as carefully as we might were we not so injured.
One of the MANY things which I love about this board is that it is relatively free from flaming; and that most of us try very diplomatically and nicely to disagree with some point in a posting, whilst also agreeing with other parts of it.   But I don't know for how much more of it I will wade through. I just LOVE the talent in there of RickB, and LouiseV, and yourself of course.  I also use it as an opportunity to view the stills of the film, where I can examine every detail. !!! LOL.

Oh, you must be as bad-minded as I am Lola, if you also are joining Vic's board.  Gee, in that case I had perhaps leave the captions thread behind, and get over there and swap yarns!  Oh no, my wife will kill me for never getting of this Board.  Hee Hee.   Cheerio to all: JohnnyX.

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2006, 05:35:20 AM »
And so we move on to the Captions thread.  Even though I still haven't even reached the end of the first 200 pages, I have seen some of "those comments", especially when you just said a couple of words to suggest some issues.

Not that I want to divert you from this thread, Johnny, but the PhotoCaps is well worth seeing all of it. Before I posted there I went through about 400+ pages, that was what it was up to then, because I didn't want to miss a single one. Not only is every angle possible on the Brokeback Mountain story covered there in gross and glorious detail, you even get a picture to go with it.
:)

Vic

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2006, 05:45:49 AM »

I'm not that familiar with U.S. election rules and such but what amazes me is how someone with those views can even become a Senator. Is there no screening at all?

As I mentioned before, the Dutch have their own right wing religious nut party, but all of their views and Statement of Intent as organisation have to be well presented and laid out for anyone to access, so that anyone who votes for them is clearly aware of what they stand for. This minimises the chance that the mainstream would be deceived into electing them and keeps them on the fringe, never in the center of national politics.

Vic

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2006, 05:50:57 AM »

It is always an eye opener to see how the religious fanatics find ways to justify their own actions while in the same breath condemning others that do the same.

I don't necessarily have a problem with polygamy, it is a normal practice in parts of the world, but it has to be voluntary, never coerced. Men like this aren't in it for the sex, I think, they're in it for the power they have over others.

Vic

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »

Vic
Interesting item Vic, read it and you will see a dichotomy  Harris says:-

"separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers.""

So if this is true there is no need to ensure the religious beliefs of Senators if God is already choosing them.  If they then pass laws that allow Gay marriage isn't that the will of God and not sin? lots of material for debate here  :D

Offline Vic

• Obsessed
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »

Vic
Interesting item Vic, read it and you will see a dichotomy  Harris says:-

"separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers.""

So if this is true there is no need to ensure the religious beliefs of Senators if God is already choosing them.  If they then pass laws that allow Gay marriage isn't that the will of God and not sin? lots of material for debate here  :D

When I read it I thought that by god she must have meant Bush and his cronies for they all presume themselves to be god-like anyway. (Btw, the item was posted by Daannzzz.) So, let's say I commit blasphemy and think that god didn't choose her to be a Senator, then who does?

Vic

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »
HI all-

I just found this thread. I'm glad I did.
I thing about K. Harris is that she is a nut. Seperation between Church and State is not to protect the State but to protect the Church. It what I have been sating for years, 'The Religious Right is the Taliban of the USA.'

Tom

Offline daannzzz

• Obsessed
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »
I consider the relgious right Anti-Amercans. No matter what they say our government is a living breathing and changing reference. It can not adhear to only one set of rules passed hundreds of years ago. It has to change as we learn and evolve. Why are so many humans so stuck on tradition? What is it about tradition (even if it is wrong and hurtful) that so many people cling too like a baby blanket?

Scott6373

« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »
I consider the relgious right Anti-Amercans. No matter what they say our government is a living breathing and changing reference. It can not adhear to only one set of rules passed hundreds of years ago. It has to change as we learn and evolve. Why are so many humans so stuck on tradition? What is it about tradition (even if it is wrong and hurtful) that so many people cling too like a baby blanket?

It's so basic as to be almost invisible.  tradition=the known.  Change =the unknown.  99% of people are afraid of the unknown.  The probelm arises when my unknown and your unknown are different.

Offline angel

• Expert
« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2006, 11:12:56 AM »
HI all-

I just found this thread. I'm glad I did.
I thing about K. Harris is that she is a nut. Seperation between Church and State is not to protect the State but to protect the Church. It what I have been sating for years, 'The Religious Right is the Taliban of the USA.'

Tom

I agree that the American religious right and the Taliban, are both fundamentalist, anti-humanist, authoritarian, murderous, ignorant dogmatists.

But I've always read, and thought that the separation of Church and State was intended by our (bigoted, gender-biased, genocidal, Christian etc.) forefathers to protect the State from being seized, directly or indirectly, by a dangerous religious movement.

But I guess that plan went to shit. Bush's medieval policies are only the latest incarnation of this effect.