The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2017 - 2022  (Read 772704 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: News and Current Events - 2017
« Reply #780 on: May 21, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
Go Irish!

Notre Dame students walk out on Mike Pence during commencement speech

A group of graduating seniors from the University of Notre Dame turned their backs on their own graduation ceremony in protest of Vice President Mike Pence, who gave their commencement address there on Sunday.

The protests, which were organized by a student activist group at Notre Dame called We Stand For, were staged in response to "marginalized people affected by Pence's politics," according to a Facebook post published by the group last week, which urged students to join them in the walk out.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/notre-dame-students-walk-mike-pence-commencement-speech/story?id=47545854
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #781 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »
Yeah!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #782 on: May 21, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
this is a joke...pay to play?  Next they'll be renting out the Lincoln bedroom - shades of the Clinton WH & foundation. 

Wall Street Journal‏Verified account
@WSJ

Saudi Arabia, U.A.E. have pledged to donate $100 million to Women Entrepreneurs Fund
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia—The World Bank announced Sunday at an event with Ivanka Trump, the U.S. president’s daughter and senior White House adviser, that Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates have pledged a combined $100 million to a fund that will assist women entrepreneurs and small business owners.

Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #783 on: May 22, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Saudi Arabia, U.A.E. have pledged to donate $100 million to Women Entrepreneurs Fund
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia—The World Bank announced Sunday at an event with Ivanka Trump, the U.S. president’s daughter and senior White House adviser, that Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates have pledged a combined $100 million to a fund that will assist women entrepreneurs and small business owners.

Was this picture taken in Saudi Arabia (looks like it, just verifying)?

If it was, why isn't Ivanka more covered up? Does a woman get a special dispensation if she's a Trump?

I have a reason for asking this. I'm currently reading an article in the May 15 New Yorker (I'm often weeks behind in the issues) about an assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York who specializes in terrorism cases. She travels extensively in her work. When she's in Saudi Arabia, she's expected to wear an abaya.

Granted Ivanka's dress at least has long sleeves and a lower hemline, though not that low, but why does she get away without being covered up more?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:56:00 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #784 on: May 22, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »
I expect that the Sa'udis bend the rules when they want something.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #785 on: May 22, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
^^^  bingo
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #786 on: May 22, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
Was this picture taken in Saudi Arabia (looks like it, just verifying)?

If it was, why isn't Ivanka more covered up? Does a woman get a special dispensation if she's a Trump?

I have a reason for asking this. I'm currently reading an article in the May 15 New Yorker (I'm often weeks behind in the issues) about an assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York who specializes in terrorism cases. She travels extensively in her work. When she's in Saudi Arabia, she's expected to wear an abaya.

Granted Ivanka's dress at least has long sleeves and a lower hemline, though not that low, but why does she get away without being covered up more?

Melania also went without a head covering, as did Michelle Obama when she visited...although dt made a big deal out of it on twitter when MO did it.
Bye, Felicia

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #787 on: May 22, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I never know how to feel about issues like that.

I firmly believe that when you visit another  country, you should abide by their rules.  However, many Middle Eastern countries have the most insane rules for women, designed to (in my opinion) punish them for being women.  Why should women from other countries be subjected to that when they visit?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #788 on: May 22, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
True, though it's Trump's charming (at least to his idolaters) hypocrisy that glares through here.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #789 on: May 22, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
I've seen several reports that it's not required by visitors

Covering one’s head isn’t required for foreigners, and Western women who have visited the country often choose not do so.  Michelle Obama decided against it when she accompanied then-President Barack Obama on a 2015 condolence visit following the death of King Abdullah — something Trump railed against at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/melania-trump-headscarf-saudi-arabia-draws-attention-article-1.3180897
Bye, Felicia

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #790 on: May 22, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »
Apparently in one Sa'udi publication they printed a picture of Angela Merkel next to a Sa'udi leader, with her hair pixelated.

Angela Merkel!!!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #791 on: May 22, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
Whoops, just googling it, apparently it's a hoax.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #792 on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:54 PM »
Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and about 50 hurt

Nineteen people have been killed and about 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.  Police were called to reports of an explosion at the venue at about 22:35 BST following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande.

The cause of the blast is unknown but North West Counter Terrorism unit is treating it as a possible terrorist incident, sources have told the BBC.  Greater Manchester Police is working to set up a contact number for relatives.

Officers have told the BBC there is a second suspect device near where the first explosion occurred.  Reporters were moved away from the scene and a controlled explosion has taken place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #793 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »
Melania also went without a head covering, as did Michelle Obama when she visited...although dt made a big deal out of it on twitter when MO did it.

I sort-of remembered that Michelle didn't, but I wasn't sure. Figures that the Orange One would make a big deal over it when she did, but nothing about his own wife and daughter, I suppose.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #794 on: May 23, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and about 50 hurt

According to NBC this morning, the death toll is now up to 22, and one young girl is missing. Her mother and sister were taken to separate hospitals, but they haven't been able to locate her.