The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Box Office  (Read 634370 times)

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
Re: Box office: Daily & Weekly reports; future prospects
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2005, 02:46:47 PM »
Sean Flynn, who analyzes box-office grosses for a living, posts regularly on the forum at the L.A. Times' Envelope site.

He's predicting that ''Brokeback'' could make $100 million, if it wins the Oscar; $75 million, if it doesn't.

Last year, he predicted ''Million Dollar Baby'' would make $100 million and was ridiculed for it, but time proved him right.

Flynn says ''Brokeback'' is currently outperforming ''Million Dollar Baby'' at this stage of their respective releases.

He says he realizes some audiences will be resistant to a gay love story, and that if it starred Heath Ledger with MAGGIE Gyllenhaal (instead of Jake) and got the same awards and the same Oscar buzz, it would generate $150 million and up.

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2005, 03:21:14 PM »
I frequently google search "Brokeback Mountain" and it seems like daily there is a Fox "News" story about how BBM is failing at the box office. Such laughable drivel is best ignored, as is that "propaganda" article.

I noticed some new (and very positive) reviews from new cities it appears BBM will be opening in on Friday, including Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Indianapolis and Nashville.

CNN has BBM as the #3 entertainment story of the year (after celeb romances and the declining box office, and ahead of Michael Jackson, March of the Penguins and Harry Potter). http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/12/27/2005.list/index.html?section=cnn_latest
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »
CanMark, try not to pay much attention to Fox News. I just posted about their latest ''drivel'' on the Awards & Oscar race thread.

Offline Nicole

• Experienced
  • bay mare
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
Post a few more times and it will go away (see the 'we just deflowered our first member' topic under meet and greet)

Thanks Mary. I'm dying to get my feet wet, then. ;)
Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

Offline khyberny

• Experienced
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2005, 07:05:17 PM »
hmm, interesting that every movie has reported for Tuesday except BBM, wonder what's going on?

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=brokebackmountain.htm

jiml

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2005, 08:19:59 PM »
AP story ... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/12/28/entertainment/e184750S19.DTL

Who's afraid of a couple of gay cowboys?

Not moviegoers, who helped "Brokeback Mountain" post the highest per-screen average over the film-flush holiday weekend.

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2005, 09:14:53 PM »
Here's Peter Bart's take on the ''Brokeback'' box office, from Tuesday's Variety:

Pix defy predictions

''Brokeback Mountain'' seems to be winning acceptance not only in coastal cities, but in those sectors of the country that previously were hospitable to ''The Passion of the Christ'' - communities like Plano, Tex., or Phoenix, Ariz. Even in Wyoming, exhibitors seem eager to book the film, which bodes well for its ultimate rollout. The big question: Can a gay cowboy film surpass the levels of previous arthouse hits like ''Lost in Translation'' or ''The Constant Gardener''?

Offline khyberny

• Experienced
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »
silly article in LAWeekly by David Ehrenenstein, but i guess it's worth checking out...

That Brokeback Mountain is Japan-bound goes without saying. But it’s surely going to sweep the Oscars too, and break the $100 million mark at the box office.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/06/06/film-ehrenstein.php

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »
I had to laugh at that one.  Ehrenstein has quite the reputation on DataLounge, where he's been known to throw screaming tantrums in his posts (no mean feat).  All you have to do to get a rise out of Dataloungers is mention his name.

jiml

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2005, 10:05:11 PM »

This was just posted in an open thread at americablog.com by "hopeless pedant"...

I have access to specific grosses in most theatres on an hourly basis (work in the industry).
The film opened today in Indianapolis and Milwaukee today (bunch more cities on Friday). It was the best gross in any theatre for any film in Indiana, and it appears likely it will be the same in Wisconsin.

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2005, 10:23:37 PM »
Ehrenstein is setting up straw men and knocking them down. Of course, there were gay movies before ''Brokeback Mountain.'' But they were mostly little independent films that might've garnered critical raves, but little public attention. ''Brokeback'' is arguably the first mainstream serious gay love story with this caliber of name talent (i.e., Oscar-winning director, hot young movie stars) since ''Making Love'' (1982). Of course, there are openly gay actors who could play Ennis and Jack beautifully, but the sad reality is that practically none of them are household names who could open a movie. For the record, many of the ''queer films'' that Ehrenstein listed starred straight men playing gay. He quotes Craig Lucas, who wrote ''The Dying Gaul,'' a gay film that stars two straight guys - Campbell Scott and Peter Sarsgaard - as the leads. Why is he holding ''Brokeback'' to a different standard than ''Gaul''?

Another sad reality is the list of openly gay actors is a short one. Hollywood still seems like a gigantic closet. There are no openly gay male matinee idols. It took them 7 years to get ''Brokeback'' made, and why? Because lots of actors turned it down, or else they were warned they'd be committing ''career suicide'' by their straight - and gay - managers, publicists, agents. ... Maybe the next big gay love story will have a happy ending. Maybe it'll even star openly gay actors. But for now, ''Brokeback'' is still a breakthrough.  

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2005, 10:30:54 PM »
wayman, not to take issue with the point you are making, but to offer a gleam of hope, rupert everett, while not at all suitable for this, can't be very far off of being matinee idol, as long as that isn't defined as carry a whole film to the box office.  sad to say, that is pretty much the whole list.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2005, 10:47:07 PM »
Sorry to say that Rupert Everett isn't that much of a gleam of hope, Jack. His ability to open a movie with his name alone is zilch. I also consider a male matinee idol someone who actually has love scenes in his films. If Everett's been steaming up the screen, I've missed it. Also, Everett has been quoted as saying that if he had to do over again, he might not have come out of the closet. 

For all the talk of a ''homosexual lobby'' in Hollywood, it must be an ineffective one. ''Philadelphia'' wasn't nominated for Best Picture. And Everett could've even manage to get an Oscar nomination as Julia Roberts' gay pal in ''My Best Friend's Wedding.'' However, that same Oscar season, Greg Kinnear, a straight guy, COULD get an Oscar nomination for playing gay. I guess gay actors playing gay isn't acting, but straight actors playing gay, is. I'm being sarcastic, but I don't think it's too far from the truth.   

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »
P.S. Everett does get to play a romantic hero in an upcoming movie; he's Prince Charming in ''Shrek 3,'' but it's only his voice.

And he's also currently in ''The Chronicles of Narnia,'' but again - it's only his voice ... as the fox. 

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2005, 04:23:27 AM »
sadly wayman, you aren't far from the truth.  i suspect everett's career lag has less to do with his swoon factor (which is my very old-fashioned idea of a matinee idol, than the studio's shutting him out, or at least liiting his casting to best friends and fops.

probably the reason i fancy him on screen is that he dominates the frame like monty and errol used to do.  tough getting ancient, eh..
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."