The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1042215 times)

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2006, 11:52:14 AM »
I wish they'd used the "This ain't no little thing that's happenin' here," line in the movie. 
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2006, 11:57:59 AM »
likewise I wish they'd included E's endearment 'little darlin' after the reunion kisses.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
I wish they'd used the "This ain't no little thing that's happenin' here," line in the movie. 

That line could have been another device for the entire motive, indeed.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline SquallCloud

• Austin and Jake Fan
  • Obsessed
  • We did the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
    • Bedroom Behavior: The Friction In Their Jeans (My Fic)
« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »
After reading the story I so longed for the "aint no little thing" lien but "Little Darlin" is one of those things that looks good on paper but I can't actually see Ennis/Heath saying it and it ringing true. Jack Fuckin' Twist was way better. imho.

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2006, 12:25:51 PM »
I agree, Squallcloud.  The "little darlin'" to me seems way too tender for Ennis to have said aloud.  It was great in the story, but on the screen I think I might have winced if he'd actually said it. 
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline rabbar

• Experienced
« Reply #455 on: February 16, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »
I'm kinda torn about it. Some people didn't see any signs of a great love between J & E, they never say those three little words to each other. Maybe a muttered/whispered "lil darlin" in Jack's ear at one point in the film would have satisfied some of them.

Plus that way, we could have a whole nother long debate as to whether Ennis is saying "lil darlin" or "I'm sorry" or "it's ok" or "it's alright" or "not tonight Jack, I have a headache."  It would just give us BBM obsessives something else to obsess about..... ;) ;D

Offline michelle

• Expert
« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
[the light this film has brought into my life is a gift I can never repay......

Jaysmommy, I couldn't agree more.  have never felt so enrighed by a work of art, ever.
For me, the only time we see Ennis truely, truely happy, is when he answers Jack's question "Anything interesting, up threre in heaven?" with "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks..." Ennis' face is totally content, at peace, with Jack, himself and the universe.

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #457 on: February 16, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »
I agree, Squallcloud.  The "little darlin'" to me seems way too tender for Ennis to have said aloud.  It was great in the story, but on the screen I think I might have winced if he'd actually said it. 

Me too...it seemed fitting in the book (as did "gun's goin' off!) but not for Heath's version of Ennis. I much prefer "Jack Fuckin' Twist!" which seems to have been an inspired ad lib by Heath at any rate! Then the way he nuzzled Jack's forehead with his own before collecting himself to introduce Jack to Alma...*swoon*...it seemed fitting considering that he's an animal livestock man, and animals nuzzle...

Offline ricishay

• Virgin
« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
I am a 58 year old straight woman...married for 38 years, 3 kids, 6 grandkids, and let me tell you..I wish I had in my life a kiss like Jack and Ennis had when they met up after those 4 years..it was powerful and wonderful. The entire movie was haunting.  I absolutely loved it!

Offline martinzp

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #459 on: February 16, 2006, 08:11:24 PM »
[ :D 8) ;D ::) ;D ::)
I have to give credit, where credit is due. I saw the movie three times already and I did read the short story likewise and the whole sentence has haunted me :
"Come on, Ennis, you just shot my airplane out a the sky - give me something a go on. This ain't no little thing that's happenin here."

I am very glad to see that I am not the only one who checked these lines. 
Thanks a lot guys and keep up the Good work.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

quote author=ingmarnicebbmt link=topic=164.msg48211#msg48211 date=1140115773]
From the story:

(end of motel scene, Jack speaking:)
"Come on, Ennis, you just shot my airplane out a the sky - give me something a go on. This ain't no little thing that's happenin here."
The hollow ringing began again in the next room, and as if he were answering it, Ennis picked up the phone on the bedside table, dialed his own number."

Beautiful, sparse, overwhelming.

He was starting to answer his own desires, but only for a weekend. He tried to give both "something a go on". But not long enough.
And both knew: "this ain't no little thing that's happenin here."

If only they could make it BIG enough.
;D :D

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »
I posted this on the main discussion thread and it got ignored (hmmm, maybe they are trying to tell me something) so I thought I'd try it here although it doesn't directly relate to the reunion scene.  Did anyone else notice how Ennis subtly mirrors Jack in the movie?  Ennis' car, after he marries Alma, is the same make (GMC) and color as the truck Jack is driving in the beginning.  Then during the reunion scene Jack is wearing that down vest over his red shirt.  The next time we see Ennis after the reunion, when he and Alma are fighting and the girls are swinging, he is wearing a tan down vest.  Then in the Thanksgiving scenes they are both wearing those bolero tie things, which could just be a sign of the 70's fashion times (blech).  Anyway, maybe it means nothing, but I definitely noticed it when I saw it again yesterday.  I apologize if someone else has already posted this somewhere.

Offline trinket

• Mrs. Robinson
  • Obsessed
  • That ain't the point!
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »
I posted this on the main discussion thread and it got ignored (hmmm, maybe they are trying to tell me something) so I thought I'd try it here although it doesn't directly relate to the reunion scene.  Did anyone else notice how Ennis subtly mirrors Jack in the movie?  Ennis' car, after he marries Alma, is the same make (GMC) and color as the truck Jack is driving in the beginning.  Then during the reunion scene Jack is wearing that down vest over his red shirt.  The next time we see Ennis after the reunion, when he and Alma are fighting and the girls are swinging, he is wearing a tan down vest.  Then in the Thanksgiving scenes they are both wearing those bolero tie things, which could just be a sign of the 70's fashion times (blech).  Anyway, maybe it means nothing, but I definitely noticed it when I saw it again yesterday.  I apologize if someone else has already posted this somewhere.

You're right, oh my gosh.
Interesting aevkc...have you tried talking about it on the thread "symbolism in Brokeback mountain?"  I think that is the name of the thread here.
I don't know if that has been discussed there but it's worth a shot.
And thanks, another reason for me to go see it.....AGAIN!
 ;)
JAKE on his roll as 'Dastan' in 'The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' ~ "The appeal of playing this part for me was feeling that eight-year-old side of myself. . . . . .This was really an opportunity to go to that side of myself which I felt was a little tired of taking myself so seriously."

Offline andyincolorado

• Experienced
    • Andy's Home Page
« Reply #462 on: February 17, 2006, 08:17:52 PM »
"BOLO TIES" are quite common out West (here). When we want to 'smarten up', a bolo tie is quite traditional to wear. Not unusual to see men wearing bolo ties to the Ellie Caulkins Opera House in downtown Denver.
"Truth is....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #463 on: February 17, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »

This has been discussed on a couple of different threads. I think maybe the Thanksgiving thread and the Truck thread.

The first notice of this was on the Opening scene thread where Ennis walks behind Jack to the bar, and it looks as if Ennis is trying to mimic Jack's steps.

sskater

« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2006, 04:25:17 AM »
aevbc is right on...I suppose it points as well to the monoculture of the society. Ya gotta fit in, men can't be wearing anything. The pick up truck's - light blue and white one in the beginning on the side of the road after Ennis and Jack first came off the mountain. Ennis eneded up driving it around, just like the black truck. Seems Jack ended up driving mostly Fords.

(FORDS & CHEVS-still talk about this in the farming community and if u live there u know what I'm talking about). Boloties are common in the prairies cross canada-British columbia, alberta saskatchewan, manitoba as are cowboy hats and shit kickers.