The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 712053 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
Thanks Neil, that's certainly true - Kinsey measures absolutes.  And it's also been criticized for fixing people with identities as opposed to dealing with how people are acting at a particular time in their life.  There is an alternative to this, it's called the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_Sexual_Orientation_Grid

Both Kinsey and Klein are interesting as they are sexologists who spent their whole lives researching these topics and attempting to put them in the realm of science.

Thanks Micheal. What I see from bothe Kinsey's and Klein's scales is that it's next to impossible to measure this accurately. All that could possibly be done is evalute the people who consider themselves as definately gay TODAY! ;D

Perhaps, Jean, but I think there is a real bias against the social sciences.  Part of the reason they do blind (and double blind) surveys is to get around peoples fears and biases.  And when survey statistics repeatedly report similar things it seems (to me at least) to add to their weight.  And it's not like these individuals are (necessarily) homophobic - Kinsey himself was bisexual.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline merrobot

• Obsessed
  • Bar Fly
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »
Thanks Neil, that's certainly true - Kinsey measures absolutes.  And it's also been criticized for fixing people with identities as opposed to dealing with how people are acting at a particular time in their life.  There is an alternative to this, it's called the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid:

Both Kinsey and Klein are interesting as they are sexologists who spent their whole lives researching these topics and attempting to put them in the realm of science.

That's very interesting, Michael! 

I would hazard a guess that people might classify people by behaviour not identity because (a) pre-1970s the social sciences (or at least psychology) were dominated by 'behaviourists' and (b) identity is much harder to define - in the same circumstances one person might identify as gay/lesbian while another identifies as bisexual.  There is also a tendency to assume that behaviour (being 'observable') is more objective and measurable than 'identity' which is a set of beliefs/attitudes and therefore 'subjective' and more difficult to conceptualise and measure.  That being said, I think the recent advances in social sciences and again in psychology would probably make a new study in this area a very interesting endevour  :) 
"I've more than one membership
to more than one club
and I owe my life to the people that I love"
- Ani DiFranco, In or Out, Living in Clip

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
That being said, I think the recent advances in social sciences and again in psychology would probably make a new study in this area a very interesting endevour  :) 

I agree!  I also don't know why they haven't tried surveying people while testing physical responses - particularly to stimuli.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

MonteCristo

« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »
You all may be moving on but I seem to be stuck on the Public Displays of Affection idea.  Last night I was thinking about it and recalled that the most negative reaction I've ever experienced from a PDA was something that happened when our family stopped for a bite to eat on a road trip. My granddaughter was 3 years old then---shes 17 now.  At our booth in the restaurant she was crawling all over me because I am/was(he says proudly)her favorite person.  I was cuddling and kissing her which is what I always do.  I happened to look up and a 30ish couple at another booth were watching us with very strong looks of disgust.  It suddenly hit me that they thought I was a dirty old man getting his jollies with a baby.  I suddenly felt sick.  Those dirty minded people turned a perfectly innocent moment into something sleazy.  Later on I realized that I should have just hollered to them:  "It's ok, I'm queer".  Of course I could never do that but it makes me chuckle thinking about it.

Monte

Monte

Offline lowcountrygirl

• Obsessed
  • Proud member of Jake's unique fan base
    • My blog
« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »

That's very interesting, Michael! 

I would hazard a guess that people might classify people by behaviour not identity because (a) pre-1970s the social sciences (or at least psychology) were dominated by 'behaviourists' and (b) identity is much harder to define - in the same circumstances one person might identify as gay/lesbian while another identifies as bisexual.  There is also a tendency to assume that behaviour (being 'observable') is more objective and measurable than 'identity' which is a set of beliefs/attitudes and therefore 'subjective' and more difficult to conceptualise and measure.  That being said, I think the recent advances in social sciences and again in psychology would probably make a new study in this area a very interesting endevour  :) 

Hmm.

I made a little grid based on the Klein scale...

Present (past 12mos)                          Past (up to 12 mos ago)                          Ideal (future)

Sexual Attraction                                      6                                                             3(?)                                                 7

Sexual Behavior                                       7                                                             2                                                     7

Sexual Fantasies                                      3                                                             2                                                     5

Emotional Preference                              4-5                                                          3-4                                                   5

Social Preference                                     7                                                             3                                                     5

I see the way it creates more choices, so is not as rigid, maybe, as the Kinsey Scale. But I don't really see how you would put all this info together to mean anything.

"Ya ain't got a problem, Hank... Yer justa l'il sad is all... 'S ta be 'xpected when bad stuff happens... 'n ya got a righ' ta be sad 'bout it...", Ed in Ed and Hank.

(Thank you, myeyesain'tblue!)

Offline sugarcheryl

• Experienced
    • cometababy
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2007, 12:02:14 PM »
You all may be moving on but I seem to be stuck on the Public Displays of Affection idea.  Last night I was thinking about it and recalled that the most negative reaction I've ever experienced from a PDA was something that happened when our family stopped for a bite to eat on a road trip. My granddaughter was 3 years old then---shes 17 now.  At our booth in the restaurant she was crawling all over me because I am/was(he says proudly)her favorite person.  I was cuddling and kissing her which is what I always do.  I happened to look up and a 30ish couple at another booth were watching us with very strong looks of disgust.  It suddenly hit me that they thought I was a dirty old man getting his jollies with a baby.  I suddenly felt sick.  Those dirty minded people turned a perfectly innocent moment into something sleazy.  Later on I realized that I should have just hollered to them:  "It's ok, I'm queer".  Of course I could never do that but it makes me chuckle thinking about it.

Monte

Monte

Awww Monte....that story actually kinda pissed me off. Never have I or would I think something like that about innocent loving between and parent/grandparent and their child. I do however sorta understand what those people might of been thinking. Todays society puts those thoughts into our heads.....even 15 years ago, unfortunatly. Its just too damn bad. But these people also should of noticed the way in which your granddaughter was carrying on. IF she was a victim she wouldnt of been "happy" crawling all over you for loves....she would of been pushing away from you and not a willing participant. So in that case....I would of gave them a "this is none of your damn business, go back to eating your waffles" look. lol!
You boys sure found a way to make the time pass up there. Twist, you guys wasn't gettin' paid to leave the dogs babysittin' the sheep while you stemmed the rose.

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
  • had the greatest 2 weeks
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »
wow! thats all i can say

i kind of disappeared from my own thread, and now look at it. its been a few pages since i last checked in, lots of posts. to be honest i quit popping by because i didnt like the tense feeling i had, i thought that i had started something that ended with others having hurt feelings, i had debated about whether i should ask a mod to delete the whole thing, but i am glad i didnt. i love how its got so many new thoughts and posts, thanks for keeping it going!
So I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.~ daughtry

Offline maidenofthesea

• Obsessed
  • Rebel Spirit
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
wow! thats all i can say

i kind of disappeared from my own thread, and now look at it. its been a few pages since i last checked in, lots of posts. to be honest i quit popping by because i didnt like the tense feeling i had, i thought that i had started something that ended with others having hurt feelings, i had debated about whether i should ask a mod to delete the whole thing, but i am glad i didnt. i love how its got so many new thoughts and posts, thanks for keeping it going!

We love you hun!  :-*

He made his way closer to Jack, when he passed a mirror and had to stop and comb his greasy dirty-blonde locks.

That’s one down for the good guys, Jack thought gleefully. Bye-bye evil warthog!

Offline chiaros

• Experienced
« Reply #398 on: April 13, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
... why civil unions still don't cut it and still count as a "dodge" by reluctant legislatures (and societies?)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/nyregion/13civil.html?ref=nyregion
INTP

Offline chiaros

• Experienced
« Reply #399 on: April 13, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »
Re: the Imus flap and the double standards society has:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/opinion/13fierstein.html?hp
INTP

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
Re: the Imus flap and the double standards society has:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/opinion/13fierstein.html?hp

That's very good. Thanks Chiaros.

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline lowcountrygirl

• Obsessed
    • My blog
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59:02 PM »
"Ya ain't got a problem, Hank... Yer justa l'il sad is all... 'S ta be 'xpected when bad stuff happens... 'n ya got a righ' ta be sad 'bout it...", Ed in Ed and Hank.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2007, 05:45:25 AM »
Thought you might all find this article from Salon about the 'Day of Silence' interesting:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/2007/04/19/day_of_silence/index.html

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #403 on: April 22, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »
And so it goes.  When so much is going on in the world this is what they focus on.

Offline lowcountrygirl

• Obsessed
    • My blog
« Reply #404 on: April 22, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
That article certainly makes it clear that society is not so accepting! The part that particularly saddens me is the part about the girl being suspended because of other people's reactions to her.

I get the impression that they were not suspended!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:22:00 PM by lowcountrygirl »